About EK Endurance Coaching
WE GO BEYOND THE TRAINING.
This is a core value of ours. We've found that training is only part of the puzzle. Not everyone lives in a climate conducive to year round outdoor training, not everyone has the same amount of time to train each week, not everyone can do 3 hour training sessions on a Wednesday, train all winter. EK Endurance Coaching works with their athletes to maximize their resources to best reach their goals. Training is designed to be fun and sustainable for long term success, happiness and growth.
Based in Boulder, Colorado, EK Endurance Coaching offers customized coaching specifically tailored for each athlete. We travel to other parts of the country to coach our athletes in races and frequently run training camps in various locations. Local clients have access to the highest level of coaching right in their own backyard with group rides and runs. Winter cycling classes, coached swims and the most valuable set of team sponsors and partners and coaching service.
About Coach Eric Kenney (Founder EK Endurance Coaching)
Eric grew up loving everything about the outdoors and everything it had to offer. His parents were both on the ski patrol and as soon as he could walk, Eric was on skis. His love for sports began to grow as he did. He spent years ice and rock climbing and mountaineering, culminating with a trip to the Andes achieving an unofficial speed record of 20,000 foot peak.
Throughout college Eric studied Environmental Science, Writing, and Nutrition. He also entered the world of competitive sports. As captain of the varsity rowing team his junior and senior years he led the team to a silver medal at the New England Rowing Championships. After college he continued with rowing and led several boats to national championships gold medals and other prestigious wins.
At the end of 2001, Eric found cycling and quickly moved through the ranks to become a Category 1 cyclist. With hundreds of races under his belt, he expanded his training to include running and swimming and soon entered the world of triathlon races where he has stayed ever since.
When Eric works with an athlete, he designs a training program with years of experience and knowledge in a vast array of sports. He works with beginners but also experienced athlete's looking to take their training to the next level. Whether you want a three month plan for a sprint triathlon or three-year plan for an Ironman, Eric can help you reach your goal.
Eric lives in Boulder, CO with his wife, and enjoys training hard, slow mornings with lots of coffee, and a big breakfasts. Eric is currently training. He never really stops being active, ever.
--Aubrey Cook. Elite Triathlete
"I am so surprised I am spending 50% less time training than last year and I am much better than last year. I'm running and biking much faster. Thank you coach!"
If logic is what you know, and intuition is molded by past experience, EK Endurance Coaching completely put me on a game changing path of self growth. The logic and intuition from my past was fine, but at 41 years the landscape of my personal performance is expanding and I am crushing in the mountains harder than I ever could have imagined. This could not have been done with out EK Endurance trumping my logic and intuition with tactics well beyond what was my spectrum, and unquestioning belief that I can accomplish my goals.
--Ryan Vachon. Elite Ice and Rock climber.
"I just completed my first Ironman Lake Placid, breaking my goal time of 12 hours (11:56). Given that I had 2 young children under the age of 2, and a full-time, high-pressure, travel-heavy job, I could not have accomplished this without 2 crucial ingredients. (1) an amazing and supportive wife, and (2) an excellent coach. EK took the time to understand the priorities I had in life, and constantly adjusted my workouts according to my schedule. He was as much a Time-Management expert, as a seasoned coach who knew what it took to cross the finish line himself. Everything from nutrition to equipment to analyzing my swim stroke and bike fitting from afar (sending him videos to review) to race-day execution gave me so much confidence at the start that I almost thought that I could walk across Mirror Lake, much less swim it. His coaching services were small money compared to the overall cost outlays of executing a race (bike, race wheels, entry fees, travel and lodging, etc, etc, etc), but were without a doubt the most important investment of all."
--Savas Gunduz. Father of two.
"Eric understands and takes the time to explain the physiology of each workout, how to properly execute the workout, and how each workout plays a part in helping me reach my goals. I really value how much personal attention Eric gives me. If I need anything, Eric is there for me. Always."
-Corey Steimel. triathlete w/ pro aspirations
“Having EK manage my training and racing takes all of the stress out of wondering if I'm doing the right thing, the right way. He knows my strengths and weaknesses, we train them as a team, then I watch the results roll in!”
-- Chris Carr. Cat 1 cyclist. Winner pro race Mt Evans Hill Climb. Course record holder of the 211 mile latoja bike race.
"After almost quitting the sport I entered the first ever Steamboat Stage race after diligently following daily instructions from Eric. Not only was I a transformed racer, in those short few weeks, but I stood on the podium!!"
--Jennica Rodriguez. Grade school teacher.
- Recent Coaching highlights:
- sub 12hr IM lake placid. avg. 6.5 hr's of training a week!
- 1st place CO Hill climbing Champ
- 1st place CO state champ TT
- Boulder Sprint Tri 3rd Over All
- Qualified for A/G nationals triathlon
- 5th place a/g 70.3 worlds, 10 min. run PR
- 1st place RAAm 4 man team
- 4th Tour of the Gila stage 3
- 1st place Hugo RR
- Several road upgrades
- Several IM PR's on 10 hours a week of training
- 8th Teva Mt games X-country race
- 4th First bike race ever!
- Triple bypass, CO. completed
- Competitive Cycling (2001-2009) highlights:
- 1st stage 4, Tour of the Gila
- 7th stage 1, Tour of the Gila
- 1st, stage 1 and 2 Spring Cycling classic
- 6th Housatonic Hills RR
- 2nd place overall Green Mt. stage race
- 1st Saco ME road race
- MA road race champion
- 2nd Lake Sunapee RR
- Triathlon /multisport Highlights
- 2012 Ironman World Championships participant
- 2012 Ironman St. George: 10:30.xx 6th AG.
- 2011 Ironman world championships Hawaii: 10:10.xx
- 2011 Ironman Lake Placid: 9:45 3rd AG. 9th over all.
- 2010 Boulder Sprint Tri. 1st AG. 3rd over all
- 2010 Ironman Canada: 9:52 9th ag.
- 2010 Boulder Peak Tri. 4th in Ag/12th over all
- 1995-2005: undefeated in triathlon relays
- 2005 Montauk Mightyman - 2nd in AG - 4:56:00
- 2007 Silverman 1/2, 9th overall
- 2008 Silverman 1/2, 7th overall
- 1994-2002, US national team trials
- 1999 1st place Canadian Henley
- 1999 US elite national champion
- Rock and ice climbing (Wyoming, Colorado, NH, Vermont, the Adirondacks)
- High altitude mountaineering (Colorado, Washington, the Andes, south America, including a speed record on a 20,000 foot peak)
- Running (Boston marathon -1999)